Re: New Steel Designations

The rumor yuo heard is true, but only partially. Steel pipe produced to
ASTM A53 are still called steel pipe. Round hollow structural sections
produced to ASTM A500 are called HSS. Some of the sizes of ASTM A500
round HSS match up with the cross-sectional dimensions of ASTM A53 steel
pipe. But there is a strength difference for the two materials.Square
and rectangular hollow structural section produced to ASTM A500 are
called HSS.

Read all about this in an article I wrote in the January 1999 issue of
AISC's Modern Steel Construction (page 48) titled "Are you properly
specifying materials?".

Charlie