Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: New Steel Designations

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
The rumor yuo heard is true, but only partially. Steel pipe produced to
ASTM A53 are still called steel pipe. Round hollow structural sections
produced to ASTM A500 are called HSS. Some of the sizes of ASTM A500
round HSS match up with the cross-sectional dimensions of ASTM A53 steel
pipe. But there is a strength difference for the two materials.Square
and rectangular hollow structural section produced to ASTM A500 are
called HSS.

Read all about this in an article I wrote in the January 1999 issue of
AISC's Modern Steel Construction (page 48) titled "Are you properly
specifying materials?".


MRodrig273(--nospam--at) wrote:
> There is a rumor going around that the steel industry is considering re-
> designating the Steel Pipes and Steel Tubes to HSS (Hollow Structural Steel).
> If this is so, could someone please direct me to where I can find some
> literature from the steel industry concerning this matter.
> Thanks in advance.
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Sincerely,
> Mr. Marlou B. Rodriguez
> Engineer
> Robert Englekirk Inc. (REI)
> Englekirk and Sabol  (ESI)
> 1130 North Nimitz Hwy #A215
> Honolulu, HI 96817-4579
> Note:  The comments that I write,
> are my own opinions and are not
> necessarily the opinions of REI or ESI
> -------------------------------------------------------