Re: Cope, Block & Cut

Cope, block and cut are all old industry terms that live on today with
overlaps in their meanings. Strictly speaking:

A cope would involve a cutting profile that has some intricate detail to
it, probably matching the profile of another element to which the coped
member frames. Today, however, cope is a common term for the flange and
partial web removal at the end of a beam that frames to a girder when
the flanges would otherwise interfere with each other.

A block involves the removal of, well, a block of material, such as the
rectangular areas that are removed from the flanges of beams that frame
to column webs so that the beam can fit between the column flanges.

A cut is a more generic term that can almost be used universally, such
as the square-cut or bevel-cut end of a beam, angle, etc.

In the end, though, I'd just try to use the best term for the given
cutting situation.

Charlie