Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Upset Rods

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Hello Listers:

I have a project to replace 1" square rods with threaded, circular upset
ends on a 100 year old pin connected truss.  I'd like to make the historical
folks happy and replace the member with a new upset ended rod.  This would
be performed by heating the end of a new rod to 1900 degrees and forging it
in a form.

The other option would be to full pen weld a rod to another rod with a
slightly larger  diameter and grind the connection between the two pieces to
look like an upset end.  

Both procedures have advantages and disadvantages.  Welding seems simpler
but the forging process is more historically appropriate.  Either process
heats up the member and introduces secondary stresses, but I'm somehow more
comfortable with the welding.  Welding is also cheaper and no one except me
and the welder would know the difference.

Any thoughts?