Re: Colombian Earthquake - Jan.25,1999

The first national building codewas adopted in Colombia in 1984 after
the Popayán earthquake. This code came out as a decre, and so , it was
legally binding everywhere , but there were no provitions for its
updating other than by decree. Structural engineers continued their on
updates , based on what they would find published in the US , and a very
striong movement developed based on the capacity design philosophy of
Parke and Paulay ; this was also encouraged in some universities. Last
year , after a long effort , the Asociación Colombiana de Ingenieria
Sismica was able to change the legal ruling and incorporate , as part of
the legal framework for the code , the continous updates that it will
begin to issue , based on state of the art experience.