Determination of Seismic Performance Category for a Specific Site

Dear Sirs,

We are a British Company, "Mitsui Babcock", currently involved in the design
of a power station in China. The seismic design of the project should be in
accordance with UBC 97 according to the Client's requirements and the basic
seismic acceleration of the site has been reported as being equal to 0.1g.
According to UBC 97, there are four categories for structures based on which
the necessary seismic provisions are decided. In order to determine a
category, according to Table 2-2 of Chapter 22, Div IV, the Effective Peak
Velocity-Related Acceleration, Av, for the site under consideration is
required.

We would appreciate your comments on the following points regarding the
above:
1). Can the value of Av be decided by using the value of the site design
acceleration?
2). If the answer to question 1) is No, what relationship we should use to
obtain Av value?

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Zhigang Zhang