RE: Stamping Calculations

Are we still professionals if we need someone to always check our work?
I mean to say, perhaps the problem is not enough time (read money) to do
a proper job. Do doctors or attorneys need their work independently
checked before they can do their thing?. Should they? Typically no, they
are considered professionals and as such, they are trusted to practice
their profession with the judgement and skill they supposedly are proven
to have (by education and exam). Are mistakes in structural engineering
more critical than a physician in surgery? In some ways I would say yes.
But really, if we (structural engineers) cannot be trusted to
competently design structures without needing some else to perform a
complete review of all that we did, I wonder if being a S.E. (or a P.E.
for that matter) really means anything, or if structural engineering is
really a "practice" Just a thought. What do you guys think?

 Monte Griffiths, S.E.