RE: Colombian Earthquake - Jan.25,1999

    The issue of updating codes in developing countries is relevant to
Argentina too.
    As EQs are extraordinary ecologic events (meaning they occur very once
in a while), people only get concerned about their destructive potential
AFTER a big EQ (say >5 RM).
    But as years go by they tend to forget whatever they may have lost in
the previous event as a society and they are not willing to pay a group of
engineers to sit around a table and update something so eterous as a
"seismic code", because their problems are so much more form this Earth
(call them jobs, education, health, security, etc.)
    And the authorities suffer from a lack of concern about this because
they cannot risk to spend money on a code that probably won't show its full
benefits during their administration or even their life, and so they incur
in demagogic attitudes by not assuring the updating of seismic codes or
provisions...and privileging some more "off-showing" policies as building
more houses (which we need) and paving more roads (which we certainly need
too).
    But the thing is that, as Juan Gray told the Asociación Colombiana de
Ingeniería Sísmica did, the proffesional associations must get together and
push for a change.
    That's the challenge for the next millenium, I think.

Rodrigo.