RE: Stamping Calculations

Actually, just this weekend I was thinking about a similar analogy.  My
brother is a pilot.  He is currently in training as a new pilot with
American Eagle.  I am amazed with the rigorous training, testing and
simulations that he must go through.  7 weeks of training.  This is after a
number of years of flying and instructing himself.  Beyond knowing how to
fly the plane, he must also know how "everything" works(including the
turbines, electrical and mechanical systems, ect.)  on these complicated
aircraft.  It occurred to me that while my mistakes could affect numerous
people,  there is a lot more chance of the mistakes being picked up. (in my
office, by estimators/bidders, fabricators, and on site with contractors and
inspectors) Not that I count on this of coarse!  And if I am in a jam
figuring something out, I ask can some else, write to this list, or even
call it a day and deal with it tomorrow.  A pilot does not have these
options. Where as calling it a day could be calling it their last day.
Bruce C. Trobridge
Assistant Building Structural Engineer
NYS - Office of General Services