Re: Earthquake in Colombia.

I understand. Here , in concrete structures , the usual masonry panels
are built with hollow clay bricks; this is the universal material for
partitions in buildings ( they do not use drywall or any other light
materials) . If the lateral deformations are high , the panel breaks
down due to shear , and it loses the initial stiffness. There have been
a few cases of masonry panels contributing to structure damage due to
increased stiffness , but this effect did not seem to be an important
matter in Armenis , taking into account the available information.
As to Mr. Valerio's question , I would recommend to check the book by
Newmark and Rosenblueth which gives a simple method to model the
stiffness of the panels , by treating them as braces. You have to bear
in mind that this stiffness will dissapear after the the initial strong
deformations.

Juan Carlos Gray