From: Ed Marshall <elmarshall(--nospam--at)HASimons.com>
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org' <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Tuesday, February 02, 1999 12:02 PM
Subject: RE: Cantilevers through a solid beam

Dennis,

If I understand your proposed framing correctly, the compression from the
parallam acting on the 2x4 in the notch will be acting perpendicular to the
grain of the 2x4.  This might be a problem.  Consider using a flat steel
strap tie over the top of the parallam instead of notching it to provide
flexural continuity.

Ed Marshall, PE
Atlanta