Re: Dinner Meeting Attendence

At the Forensic Engineering Technical Group of ASCE (LA Section), we have
tried for several years to increase attendance at our bi-monthly dinner
meetings, with little success.  We have, however, stayed at approximately the
same attendance for about the past 3 years. (between 30 and 40 at the
meetings, 150-200 at our annual, all-day seminar)

I agree that timely topics and good speakers are the key to attracting
members.  We try to have speakers that are real-world oriented, and can
present to an audience with a wide range of interests.  We also encourage
networking at our meetings.  Of course, our group members include all civil
engineers (traffic, geotech, structural, construction management,etc.),
therefore the networking opportuities may be greater among our members than in
SEAOSC.

Some of our best speakers have been in non-technical fields, such as
insurance, law, legislative updates, professional issues, marketing, etc.

Good luck,

Steve Helfrich, Member
Board of Directors
Forensic Engineering Technical Group, ASCE
Los Angeles Section