RE: Relationship Between Av and Z

Sorry that it took me awhile.  I have been very busy.

The area west of Liaocheng has had some fairly serious historic earthquake
activity.

The Chinese rate the area at either an 6 or a 7 depending on the accuracy of
the map.  The 6 would have a PGA or EPA of about 0.075g and would equate to
a UBC zone 1 with an Av of about 0.05.  The 7 would have about a 0.10g PGA
or EPA and would equate to about a zone 2a with an Av of about 0.10.

You are correct about the seismic design category and you do not have to use
seismic detailing on the primary structural components.  The magic about
zone 1 versus zone 2a is that zone 2a kicks in the seismic bracing
requirements for nonstructural components (all the piping needs to be braced
for seismic).  It is a major expense.

I hope that I have been helpful.

Regards,
Harold Sprague, P.E., Chief Structural Engineer
The Neenan Company
2620 E. Prospect Ave., Suite 100
Fort Collins, CO 80525
voice 970-416-7298