Re: Structural Steel and Reinforced Concrete Connections

In a message dated 2/5/99 8:58:18 PM, mtdingen(--nospam--at)sol.racsa.co.cr writes:

>I would appreciate your wise comments about the following subject.  As
>part of the structural design of a public building, I need to design a
>connection of a steel WF beam to a reinforced concrete girder.  Assuming
>a that the join is pin connected: 1. How good would this connection
>behave under seismic load?  2. Is there any documentation you could
>recommend about this matter?

Mario, a couple of questions:  Is this new construction?  Is the WF truly pin-
connected, rather than the usual web-angle connection?  Where are you located
and in what seismic zone?

I recall a problem that developed (many years ago, in a place other than my
present one) in which steel beams connected to an existing concrete structure
with a typical fairly-rigid connection failed because the designer did not
recognize that they were actually fixed-ended and the connections were not
designed for the tension which developed at the top.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA