Re: Runway beam

Thanks for your reply. I was however referring to underslung trolleys
carrying a hoist. The trolley is running suspended off the bottom flange and
has to run over a 1.25 ins expansion joint. The crawl beam in question is
spanning between Boiler Units in a power station. The units are totally
independent and have expansion gaps between the units.

I don't think that there is a connection devised for expansion joints in
crawl beams ? The bottom flange is subjected to cross bending and the
trolley wheel needs to be continuously supported.  The small wheels (~5 to 6
ins diameter) also cannot move over gaps larger than about 1/8 ins otherwise
the gap interferes with the with the movement. The flanges also need to be
perfectly level at joints. Mitring the flange tends to weaken the flange in
cross bending because the wheels are close to the edges of the flange, with
a impact load applied at the tip of the taper.

It is often necessary to reinforce the bottom flanges at the joints but even
if this is possible, I dont think that it will overcome the other problems.
The other option would be to make the crawl continuous and providing
longitudinal sliding connections in the top flange support connections.
However these sliding connection would have to be very free moving even
under load. I don't feel comfortable doing this.

I would  appreciate any responses.

Thanks.