Re: Conc. Col. Retrofit using Carbon Fiber/Tevlar Wrap & Caltrans

Carbon wraps are more expensive when you compare price per pound.

Price per sq ft of surface area tends to be similar.

The modulus(stiffness) of carbon is much higher than that of glass ,
and it thus takes about 1/4 less material to obtain the same stifness
capacity.

Furthermore, the less layers you put on, the less labor, and chances
of error, you have to contend with.

UCSD has published a valuable table that compares different wrap
thicknesses required.

Check with Frieder Seible.

jgk
Composites Consultant

---"P. & S. Guthrie"  wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for the feedback both here & to my office email.
>
> Two people I spoke with had glass fiber wrap products that have been
> approved by Caltrans, if that certification is required for your
particular
> application.  It appears that the Carbon fiber wrap may be 2 to 3
times the
> cost of the glass fiber wrap, and the steel cans seem to be for round
> columns (square columns in my case).  Carbon wrap is said to be
> particularly appropriate where moisture/water is an issue
(underground pipe
> systems for example).
> More Thanks,
>
> Paul Guthrie, PE
> San Luis Obispo, CA
> Cannon Associates
> fax (805) 544-3863
> voice (805) 544-7407
> email  paul.guthrie(--nospam--at)cannonassoc.com
>

> ----------
> From: Rlfong(--nospam--at)aol.com
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Re: Concrete Column Retrofit using Carbon Fiber/Tevlar Wrap
> Date: Friday, February 05, 1999 6:11 PM
>
> In a message dated 2/5/99 4:09:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Nd1942(--nospam--at)aol.com
> writes:
>
> > If it's so well researched, how come I never see Caltrans using it?
>
> CALTRANS has used it.  Check some of the freeway seismic retrofits
in the
> SF
> Bay Area.
>
> Ron Fong
> Fremont,  CA

==
James Korff, PE, PMP, SEAONC
985 E. Hillsdale Blvd, Suite 128, Foster City, CA 94404
Phone/Fax 650-345-1355
Cellular/Voice Mail/Messages 650-796-8997
Cyber-Mail: jameskorff(--nospam--at)aol.com  jgkorff(--nospam--at)yahoo.com

"May the DISPLACEMENT be With You !!"