Re: Seismic Upgrades of Unreinforced Masonry

I am trying to find out if anyone has ever used an internal steel frame
as lateral force resisting system to replace the resistance provided by
unreinforced masonry. In particular I am looking at a project where a
second story would be added to an existing fire station, Seismic
Performance Category ( or Zone 2A for UBC). Boca requires that the
entire structure comply with current requirements. Any information would
be appreciated. This is in the east where we do not do much of this.

David N. Martin, P.E.