Re: Advice on Filed Experience.

It is unfortunate that quite a few Engineers who mentor those new in our
field find it difficult to take the necessary steps to assure adequate field
experience.  It is in my opinion that field experience is a major
contributor to an efficient, well balanced and economical design.  It
affords a design team/office to minimize design assumptions that will run
contrary to field practice which in turn cuts on design fixes as a project
progresses.  The field is where the Engineer will get the feel and mold his
art of design as well as provide the satisfaction that his/her design has a
sense of being.

Francisco, do yourself a favor and get involved out in the field no matter
if you are going at it alone.  Do not let the fear of the unscrupulous deter
you from learning, you can always go back to the office and get your peers
opinions/analysis regarding building issues.  You may also be surprised by
the majority of honest tradesmen out in the field with years of experience
who are very willing to share.

As a matter of prudence however, soak up knowledge but do not offer
solutions to field problems that may be brought to your attention this is
the project engineer's realm and not yours unless of course you are the
attending project engineer.  Also always ask permission from the super on
the site and if required the principal consultant and their subs prior to
your walk through.

The best wishes and all the luck to you.

G. Caraig, P.E., C.B.O.