From: Harold Sprague [SMTP:harold.sprague(--nospam--at)neenan.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 10:17 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Advice on Filed Experience.

I have had the good fortune to be able to have field experience
throughout
my career.  There is a perception of the builders of our designs that we
(structural engineers) don't have a clue on how to put a project
together.
Sadly these observations are often accurate.  There are those contractors
who don't have much patience with engineers, but they are the exception.

My advice is to go into the field, be open and honest and make a clear
request of the project superintendent(s).  If you want to learn how to
form
concrete efficiently, erect steel properly, place floor slabs, etc.; you
will have to talk to the subs who do this type of work.

I have held that you will get a hammer, saw, and nails in the process of
formal education, but upon graduation the real education starts.  That is
where you learn to use the tools.  Be patient.  You will talk to several
subcontractors before you find the "best" way of performing a particular
task.  Sometimes the subcontractors are not correct, sometimes
traditional
engineering practices are not correct.  It takes time to learn the fine
points.

Good luck,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company