RE: Visual Analysis/Visual Design + ENERCALC vs. STRUCT.etc.

Our company has used Visual Analysis/Design since IES started doing
business.  In all honesty, I'd have to say our engineers have varying
reactions.  Some (like myself) who use it a lot and are very familiar with
the program like it, others who aren't as familiar with it are less
favorable.  It's become more and more user-friendly for a design
professional with each version.

I have used SAP from back in the days of SAPV, but haven't had a chance at
SAP2000 yet, although our bridge designers use it.  SAP90 was a great
program (with a great price) and had magnificent output in color or B&W
graphics, but I think VA has closed the gap.

If you have been following this list or StructTX, you will have heard mixed
reviews about Staad.

Best bet is to look in the January and July issues of Modern Steel
Construction where they review software and publish ratings by the users who
responded to their questionnaire.