RE: different metals

You definitely have a potential for corrosion (pun unintentional).  If there
is an electrolyte such as rain present, the aluminum will be sacrificial to
the steel rods.  Is a non-metallic sleeve such as a thin-wall plastic tube
possible?  Or can you coat the rods below the nuts with something
non-conductive?  Even wrapping the rods with Teflon tape would help.