seaint Digest for 10 Feb 1999 -Reply

The responses on field experience were really good and I plan forward
them onto my son (a beginning Mech engineer in his first job).  As an old
govt civil engineer I would also suggest that the young engineer in the
field ask all the questions he feels comfortable with asking, but that he
share his opinions on what he sees in the field carefully,  particularly
seeking to avoid the perception by contractor personnel that he is
directing  a change to the contract.
 If he sees need for a  correction, or modification,  he (or, she,  these
days) should relay this information to the engineer-in-charge of the job ie,
the owners representative.