From: Dave Meney <yenem(--nospam--at)iinet.net.au>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Thursday, February 11, 1999 2:36 PM
Subject: Thermal props of high tensile bolts

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the thermal coefficient of expansion for a high
tensile bolt (UTS=1050 MPa, yield stress = 945 MPa) is any different to that
for mild steel?

I have a problem where an argument has been raised regarding the loss of
pre-tension in a torqued screw, where the screw is high tensile and the
components are mild steel.  The claim is that after heating the assembly to
130°C (266°F) for a couple of hours, the thermal differences in the two
steels causes significant loss of prestress.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Dave Meney
Structural Engineer