From: Donna Friis <FRIISDL(--nospam--at)cdm.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Friday, February 12, 1999 9:43 AM
Subject: shear design

I have a 30' high by 12' long reinforced concrete wall connected to a base
slab. I calculated the shear at the base of the wall. The joint is a simple
roughened edge with the wall dowels extending into the base slab. The shear
capacity of the concrete wall (phi * Vc) is only about 70% of the required
capacity. So I calculated the shear capacity of the wall dowels. When I was
in
school and did similar calculations, I took the difference of the area of
steel provided by the wall dowels and subtracted the area of steel required
for the moment at the base. I used this difference to calculate the shear
capacity of the wall dowels but was told that this disagrees with ACI 318-95
R11.7.7. The code indicated that "when a moment acts on a shear plane the
flexural tension stresses and flexural compression stresses are in
equilibrium." Some of the senior structural engineers I spoke with indicated
that I could used the total area of steel provided by the dowels on each
face
of the wall (up to the maximum shear capacity allowed by ACI). While others
said that this was incorrect. As a young engineer I would greatly appreciate
input and a brief explanation.