Concrete at high temperature

Maria

You need to greatly reduce the temperature of the concrete.

A.M. Neville in "Properties of Concrete" has a table that says the residual
strength for 800 degrees C  is 20-36% of 28 day strength.  It appears that
a number of mechanisms are at work and the results seem to vary
significantly with respect to type of concrete materials and the mix
design.

I don't know that you can characterize the problem in terms of a standard
fire rating.  I seem to recall that longterm exposure to lower temperatures
can still ave a significant impact.

Mark Gilligan

I have a new interesting problem.  I have to design a 500 mm (20 in) thick
mat foundation for a 4 m x 6 m in plan hot-dip galvanizing tank.  The
concrete will have a layer of refractory bricks as a barrier against the
metal tank.  Temperature in the tank can get as high as 800 degrees C
(about 1500 F).  How will this affect the concrete, cast against the
ground?  How bad will its effect be on the reinforcement?  How much
isolation will the brick give to the concrete?  I guess it's like concrete
under fire.  In that case, how many hours must the fire rating be?

Thanks in advance.

Maria I. Falconi
Guayaquil, Ecuador
<