Shrinkage cracks in masonry walls

I have recently inspected a newly constructed single story CMU building and
have noted shrinkage cracks in the walls below a significant number of
windows.  Typically there is a crack below the window sill that runs
vertically (4'-0") from the window sill to the foundation.  The cracks do not
stair step but have split the face shell of the block at alternate courses.
The walls are reinforced (#5 @ 32 vert. & #5 @ 40 horiz typ.) solid grouted 8"
CMU.  After reviewing the design docs, contractor submittals and inspection
reports I have good idea of why this happened.

My problem is what to do, if anything, to mitigate this visually for the owner
who lets say is not fully satisfied.  The blocks are a mix of split and smooth
face colored CMU and the mortar is colored to match.  The mortar could be re-
pointed but trying to fill the cracks in the face shell probably highlight the
problem.

This is a dessert environment and the cracks are tight (~1/32") but would
moisture penetration through these pose a significant problem to the interior
wall finishes?  There are no planters near the wall so it will not get wetted
during irrigation of the grass.

Any thoughts of this would be appreciated.

Bob Conley, P.E.