From: Maria I. Falconi [mailto:maisabel(--nospam--at)ecua.net.ec]
Sent: Friday, February 12, 1999 11:23 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Concrete at high temperature

Dear Colleagues,

I have a new interesting problem.  I have to design a 500 mm (20 in) thick
mat foundation for a 4 m x 6 m in plan hot-dip galvanizing tank.  The
concrete will have a layer of refractory bricks as a barrier against the
metal tank.  Temperature in the tank can get as high as 800 degrees C (about
1500 F).  How will this affect the concrete, cast against the ground?  How
bad will its effect be on the reinforcement?  How much isolation will the
brick give to the concrete?  I guess it's like concrete under fire.  In that
case, how many hours must the fire rating be?

Thanks in advance.

Maria I. Falconi
Guayaquil, Ecuador