Subject: RE: AISC Seminar/ Does the Client really want a cheaper stee
Author:  Charlie Carter <carter(--nospam--at)aiscmail.com> at fdinet
Date:    2/15/99 10:52 AM

Mark:

Your points are well taken here at AISC. Personally, I think you've hit the
nail on the head about cost perceptions. The AISC seminar you referenced is
primarily technical and focused toward engineers and other technical
entities. We are also trying to communicate a compatible (and less
technical) message about what makes steel economical to owners, architects,
construction managers, general contractors, estimators and other
non-technical entities through our Marketing Department.

Thanks for your advice.

Charlie

On Monday, February 15, 1999 9:32 AM, Mark K Gilligan
[SMTP:MarkKGilligan(--nospam--at)compuserve.com] wrote:
> AISC  has sent out announcements for a seminar entitled "Essentials of
> Steel Design Economy".  One of  the listed course benefits listed is "The
> course also shows you when increasing steel weight you can actually
reduce
> cost".
>
> Although it can be cheaper to use more steel, my experience is that  this
> is not the way to satisfy the Owner.  Owners/Architects typically
establish
> the construction estimate with the assistance of a professional
estimator,
> and as long as the Contractor will agree to build the project for that
> price or less everybody is happy.
>
>  In my experience professional estimators are either not sophisticated
> enough to take into account the cost of details or for other reasons base
> their estimate on an average cost per ton. Remember the fabricator is
> typically not involved in estimating the costs at the SD, DD, or CD
stages.
>   The end result is that if you follow AISC's advice you will produce a
> heavier building and in the eyes of the Architect and Owner a more
> expensive building.  You may make the point that it is actually cheaper
> design a  slightly heavier structure but the estimate for this "cheaper"
> frame will come back higher and you will be criticized.  Because we want
> satisfied client it is often easier to design to minimize the weight
> because this is what they believe is important.
>
> In spite of this we should still try to give the client a more cost
> effective building but the point being that you can only do so much to
> educate the client.   If in spite of our efforts the client still
believes
> lighter is cheaper then as businessmen we must give the client what he
> believes he wants.
>
> If the project budget is high enough or if there is some reason why the
> steel weight will be higher than normal, you can sometimes get away with
> designing the "cheaper" structure although the estimates will not
recognize
> the lower cost per pound.  In this way we can give the owner what he
really
> wants.
>
> I suggest that if AISC really wants to make steel more competitive with
> respect to other materials they should be working with the professional
> estimators so that the estimates reflect the actual fabricated costs.
 Once