railing design

Mark,

I am having a rough time visualizing your railing.  The railings that I am
familiar with have the vertical members attached to horizontal members at the
top *and* bottom.  I don't think that I have ever seen a railing system where
all the verticals extend to the walking surface.  Usually there is a space
(4" max) between the walking surface and bottom horizontal member which acts
as a toe space, drainage area, and to prevent debris accumulation.  Posts
connected to the walking surface would usually be 8 - 10 feet apart.  Perhaps
your architect has a particular architectural statement to make that I can't
contemplate at this time.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Mark Trimble wrote:

. > i have a handrail that has 1/2" X 1/2" verticals at 4" o.c. with a
. > nominal flat stock top horizontal.  in applying the code required 200 #
. > horizontal load what effective width is allowed.  another words how many
. > verticals can contribute?
. >
. > another question is, what is the codefied deflection criteria?
. >
. >