S-O-G C.J. with STRIP FOOTING

Hi, All:

Our office engineers have designed the slab-on-grade to be part of the strip footing of several one-storey structures on one of our projects.

The slab is 125mm thk and the strip footing is 600mm wide x 850 mm deep. The outside adjacent ground is 250mm below the top of the strip footing. The slab is reinforced with WWF and dowels were provided to attach it to the strip footing.

A thinning thickened slab with slope of 1:4 extends from the inner face of the strip footing up to the slab soffit 400mm long.

Questions:

1. Will providing a constuction joint at the interface of the slab and the strip footing negate the design assumption of continuity between the two elements? The CJ will be a straight vertical joint, wetted and epoxied before the next pouring will be done.

2. If answer to Question No. 1 is yes, then on the construction side, is it possible to prepare (compact) the subgrade (with its lean concrete and vapor barrier), dig to the shape of the strip footing and thickened edge of the slab, prepare the reinforcements and then cast the concrete?

3. With No. 2, will this also mean preparing all the adjacent utilities?

To be honest, I would like to separate the slab and the strip footing. From practice, I would clear and grub the site, dig, prepare the strip and reinforcements, cast the concrete, compact the area between the building strip footings, prepare the beddings, reinforcements, cast the concrete and proceed from there. This simplifies the analysis a lot and easy to implement at the field.

I have never done No. 2 question procedure but this appears to be a common practice in Military projects but for a much thinner thickened edge slab.

TIA,

Jerome AM Tan