UBC'97 and AISC - ASD

In the edition 97 of UBC ( Section 1612.3 ), if I consider
Earthquake, I have the following combination :

D + L + S + E /1.4
and one-third increase shall be permitted in allowable stresses.

In the Manual of Steel Construction - LRFD Vol.1 - Second Edition
Part 2,  pag 2-5  I read

The ASD method ....  (D+ L' + E) x0.75
that is the same to increase one-third the allowable stresses.

Now I have two questions :

1 - What is the value 1.4 ?
     If I consider  E(ubc97)/1.4  the result is lower than the value
     stated in accordance with the past UBC edition.

2 - If my customer requires to perform calculations in accordance with
     AISC - ASD  what value of E  I must assume ?
     E   or E/1.4 as stated in UBC ?

Many thanks in advance for Your answers.

Giammarco Negrini
Studio Negrini sas di G.Negrini e C.
Lainate ( MI ) - Italia
e-mail  : stn(--nospam--at)staff.it