New Steel to Existing Concrete

Title: New Steel to Existing Concrete

every time we try to connect new steel beams to existing concrete columns or beam, the driller will hit rebar despite all detailing and layout efforts to the contrary.  obviously, upon hitting rebar, the contractor calls for guidance, we attempt to determine adequacy of the member with interupted reinforcing, etc. etc.

anyone have better solution to this age old delema ? short of don't connect new steel to old concrete ?

am i missing something so obvious it is slapping me in the face?

can i prevent the phone calls next time ? or am i forced to accept this as a universal constant ?

thanks in advance for any thoughts . . .

robert d. rollo, PE
Corporate Associate
rrollo(--nospam--at)team-psc.com
(806) 747-0161vox