From: Robert Rollo [mailto:rrollo(--nospam--at)TEAM-PSC.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 1999 9:36 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: New Steel to Existing Concrete

every time we try to connect new steel beams to existing concrete columns or
beam, the driller will hit rebar despite all detailing and layout efforts to
the contrary.  obviously, upon hitting rebar, the contractor calls for
guidance, we attempt to determine adequacy of the member with interupted
reinforcing, etc. etc.

anyone have better solution to this age old delema ? short of don't connect
new steel to old concrete ?

am i missing something so obvious it is slapping me in the face?

can i prevent the phone calls next time ? or am i forced to accept this as a
universal constant ?

thanks in advance for any thoughts . . .

robert d. rollo, PE
Corporate Associate
rrollo(--nospam--at)team-psc.com
(806) 747-0161vox