Re: New Steel to Existing Concrete

<<
 every time we try to connect new steel beams to existing concrete columns or
 beam, the driller will hit rebar despite all detailing and layout efforts to
 the contrary.  obviously, upon hitting rebar, the contractor calls for
 guidance, we attempt to determine adequacy of the member with interupted
 reinforcing, etc. etc.

 anyone have better solution to this age old delema ? short of don't connect
 new steel to old concrete ?

 am i missing something so obvious it is slapping me in the face?

 can i prevent the phone calls next time ? or am i forced to accept this as a
 universal constant ?

 thanks in advance for any thoughts . . .

 robert d. rollo, PE
 Corporate Associate
 rrollo(--nospam--at)team-psc.com
 (806) 747-0161vox
 (806) 747-7146 fax >>

Robert,

One instrument our firm has used to detect reinforcing in a wall, slab, etc.,
is a pachometer.  Its a hand held instructment that is basically a magnet with
a meter.  The pachometer is glided along the surface of the member in question
and when rebar or other metal is detected it will show up on the meter.  Some
meter's may even be able to detect the depth of the reinforcing.

One other option is to employ a material testing lab to map out the rebar
prior to drilling.

Good luck!

Michelle