From: Sleiman Serhal [mailto:mony(--nospam--at)destination.com.lb]
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 1999 4:03 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: CJ in RC Retaining Walls

There is something that has been itching my mind for quite a while and
wonder
what u guys think of.

In RC retaining walls, there is always a construction joint between the
footing
and the stem through which vertical dowels lap with the stem
reinforcement.
These dowels at the side of the backfill are most critical since they
take all
the moment, and no references ever recommend waterproofing the
construction
joint towards the side of the backfill so as to prevent these dowels
from
corroding with time. Shouldn't we do so ?

Thanks in advance,
Moni Serhal