Re: Using shoring as structural member

Greg -

We use your idea in concept all the time, but we use poured in place concrete
shoring piles instead of steel piles.  I don't like the steel because I'm
afraid it can rust out over time, and I don't like the idea that the studs are
in tension.  Also, I worry about the direction of the load from the soil in
regards to the orientation of the steel pile since the steel's capacity is
drastically different in diferrent directions.

Instead we use concrete piles with "break-out" dowels on the face which are
bent down into the shotcrete wall after the pile is excavated.  Assuming your
soil is fairly decent, and you space your piles reasonably close together (8'
or so), typically no lagging is required.  But check with the soils engineer
on this.  Also, in regards to your waterproofing, we usually specify a
"Miradrain" behind the wall, but nothing behind the pile obviously.  We
provide a "T" for the french drain between each pile.

We have used this system on walls 30' tall or so on steep hills with very good
success.

Good luck.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.