Re: Stresses at Shell Attachments

Please see my inserted comments.

Ron Hill wrote:

WRC 107 addresses spherical shells with rectangular attachments.  This
analysis is rather involved for temporary (and sometimes non code) loads.
The aspect ratio is limited to 1.5, which means that standard clips will be out of scope of the formula.
Bednar does have a good procedure for cylinders that can be used for
spheres.
Here too, the aspect ratio is limited to 1.5.  Also, the example in the book has a reinforcing pad.  Furthermore, what is the justification for using formula, developed for cylinders, on spheres?
I have used the simple method by Blodget for lifting lugs a number of times.
See "Design of Welded Structures",Blodget, section 6.6.3 'Effect of hanger
or support welded to shell'.
I have a copy of the book and, I will take a look at the section you have referred to. Thanks.