Re: Using shoring as structural member

In a message dated 2/20/99 4:40:24 PM Pacific Standard Time, lod(--nospam--at)pacbell.net
writes:

<<
 The poured in place concrete shoring piles sound like a neat idea, but
 if they are behind the shotcrete, won't they be under tension as well?

 In your wall design above, is the back of the shotcrete wall flush
 with the front of the piles?  If so, what surface do you normally use
 to shoot against, if no lagging is used?
 --  >>

OK.  A bit more info here to clarify.  Typically, the front of the shotcrete
wall is about 3" past the front of the pile.  The rest of the wall (8" - 10"
total thickness, typically) is between the piles.  The dowels from the wall to
the pile come out of the front corner of the pile and bend into the wall.
This way they are in a combination of shear and tension.  Our detail has them
well hooked into the pile cage.  Once the load is in the piles, the piles
themselves, of course, are in bending.  We don't run the wall completely (all
8" to 10") in front fo the pile because we worry that the dowel is completely
in tension (like the stud with the steel pile).

The shotcrete is shot against the Miradrain which hangs from the dirt.  A
benefit of this design is that you have a flush wall when you are done.

Alternatively, I have seen this done with the shotcrete placed towards the
back of the piles.  This creates a better connection from the wall to the
piles (shear/compression vs. shear/tension in the dowels), but you see the
piles on the inside of the wall when you are done so the esthetics aren't as
good.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.