RE: Dynamic seismic design

From: Stan Mulder [mailto:seatown(--nospam--at)icon.co.za]
Sent: Monday, February 22, 1999 2:29 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Dynamic seismic design

Thanking Mark Gilligan and Bill Cain,

Your answers to my queries concerning the UBC seismic design requirements were very useful... and I can see that I have a lot more work to do.

I am working on a project for Turkey which requires some seismic design. Unless you get  to do design work in earthquake areas you wont notice the developments taking place in this field.

Stan

Stan:

I was in Turkey a couple weeks ago on vacation.  I noticed that the rebar the contractors were using in several four and five storey buildings was smooth bars.  The bars appeared to be two sizes, equivalent to #3 and #5 bars.  The bars were delivered to the job lengths of about 40 feet for field cutting and bending.  The thing I foujnd most surprising was that they were using smooth bars.  From your questions, it doesn't sound like you are involved with a concrete building; but, do you (or anyone else) know about concrete construction practices in Turkey?  I attempted to find someone at one construction site who could speak English but had no luck.

Roger Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.