RE: History of conventional wood framing- update

just reading your posting I have some thoughts.

Most of the type V structures in the San Fernando Valley were
constructed using something called a type V sheet.  Other structures
were designed by Architects, especially custom houses where an
engineer may or may not have been envolved.  Finally a great number of
buildings were designed by Engineers, but were changed in the field,
The contractor having the owner's ear made changes based on the
'bottom line' only.

It was my experience and the experience of other Engineers that well
designed wood framed buildings with well excuted plans, no matter what
the code, performed well. Buildings that sustained the higher rates of
damage were undoublty buildings that were poorly detailed and poorly
constructed.

That is why fiddling with the seismic factors, multiplying Z's and R's
and etc... is kind of missing the point.

Ken Tarlow

---Janiele Maffei <jmaffei(--nospam--at)degenkolb.com> wrote:

> Houses that strictly comply with the conventional construction
provisions
> of the UBC have historically afforded their occupants with life
safety.
> However, it is estimated that 75% of the over $12.5 billion in insured
> losses in the Northridge EQ occurred in residential construction.
Taking