Re: Dynamic seismic design

Mark K Gilligan wrote:

> Since the code provisions are aimed at protecting life safety, permanent
> deformations are not a problem.  In this context life safety means people
> can leave the building and nothing more.  There is no assumption in the
> code that the building will be repairable after a big earthquake.
>

> Mark Gilligan

I know this is changing the topic, but I don't think this is necessarily
the case.  We are hearing more and more about the Code attempting to
control damage, and that is the justification for all of these code
changes.

Northridge Earthquake: - Billions and Billions (per Carl Segan) of
dollars in damage and how many lives were lost?  I know, I know, even
one is two many some people will tell you.

If all of these steel moment frames moment frames fractured, why didn't
they collapse?  Hmmmmmm?
Inquiring minds want to know.

I know, I just a trouble maker:)

Lynn