RE: History of conventional wood framing- update

Hello
Yep,  a higher standard of damage control housing construction may be a good
thing.

BUT, the benefit/cost and probability of occurrences of such damaging
earthquakes does not produce favourable outcomes.  To get $$$ benefit there
needs to be casualties costs and significant loss of function costs.   This
is not true for wood frame housing construction, providing that basic
design/construction details are attended to.

A government directed housing insurance scheme addresses the catastrophe
cost problem in New Zealand, where insured properties throughout the land
share the risk. There is 90% insurance coverage, and only part of the
country is expected to suffer damaging earthquake within certain time
frames.

Bruce Shephard
Principal Consultant (Seismic Risk)
Opus International Consultants Ltd
P O Box 12,003
Majestic Centre, 100 Willis Street, WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND
E-mail: bruce.shephard(--nospam--at)opus.co.nz
Telephone: +64 4 4717597 Bus,
           +64 4 5863652 Res.
Facsimile: +64 4 4711397