Re: wood decay mitigation

Abotron's products have a good reputation among wood restorers -- they also
have a website: www.abatron.com.  Other products of similar characteristics
are available from:
1) Smith & Co., Richmond CA -- 510-227-6842
2) Advance Repair Technology, Cherry Valley, NY -- 607-264-9040.

These products are great for repairing window sills, wood architectural
ornaments etc.  Amazing things can be done to restore a piece of wood that
looks hopeless.  And the stuff can be sawn, sanded, and painted just like
wood.  But I don't believe you will be able to get structural data from any of
the manufacturers (I tried once).  For structural applications, the data sheet
from manufacturer 2) recommends consulting a structural engineer.  Now what?

I suppose that the next step is to design a test program using the product you
want to evaluate with the wood in the condition that you need to repair in
order to find out if you get results you can use.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer