Re: History of conventional wood framing- update

I will have to agree with Mr. Tarlow on this one (Hi Ken) which is somewhat a
rare event I think. (just kidding).  Although being from NoCal, I was heavily
involved with post NRidge residential inspections.  What I was left with was
the observation of how well the vast majority of single family res. did.  This
included hundreds of homes within blocks of the epicenter.  Every home that I
inspected that had significant damage had aspects that contributed to the
damage, brown rot, poorly constructed alterations and very poor original
construction quality.  Messing with code factors is truly missing the point.
I very firmly belief that attention to maintenance, stricter policing of
illegal construction and quality assurance during construction will go a much
longer way to improving the performance of our buildings.

An additional comment regarding opinions based on insured loss values, with
all due respect to Janiele.  It is unfortunate that sums paid out by Insurance
Co. are the only accurately compiled information.  It is unfortunate because
the amount of money paid, from my perspective, does not reflect the reality of
the damage.  An example is a review of an insurance settlement that paid out
in excess of $300,000 for a single family, single story residence to pay for
the installation of a new 40 foot deep caisson foundation.  The residence is
located in the flats of San Fernando Valley, not in a special soils area.  The
residence suffered only cosmetic damage which added another $30,000 to the
insurance tab.  The reason the insurance paid out was because a soils engineer
wrote a report saying that it was possible some settlement had occurred.  When
asked the amount, the response was less than 1/2 inch.  There was infact no
evidence that settlement had taken place, the only logic applied was that it
could have happened because there was an earthquake.  Although it was obvious
that no foundation work was needed, the real capper to this story is that the
home had a market value of $185,000.  I could supply numerous stories like
this.  Therefore, I do cringe a great deal when I hear anything being
justified based on the amount of money paid out by Insurance Companies.

David Murphy