Re: History of conventional wood framing- update -Reply

"Dennis S. Wish PE" wrote:

> David,

Snip

> Designing to minimum standards is not enough to protect the financial lose
> that many homeowners incurred.  I personally feel that we have to extend our
> professional responsibility to consider the effects of damage and offer our
> clients a performance based contract - leaving the final decision to those
> who must pay for it in the end.
> To protect those who purchase homes direct from a developer, we need to
> educate the public and inform them of the standard under which the home was
> designed and constructed - i.e., minimum or greater than minimum
> construction/design standards. Then we need to educate the buyers so that
> they understand both what this means AND what they may need to invest to
> improve the structures performance. This provides the purchaser the freedom
> of choice by providing them the knowledge that they normally take for
> granted.

Perhaps this is the area for which we are ill prepared as engineers. I agree
that education of the uneducated is necessary and struggle with the means to
achieve this. Most professionals have at some time needed to explain and defend
their opinions to clients or other interested parties. Use of the hands as well
as language helps, but often the time spent is too short and the need for
decision too quick for much "education" to take place. I wonder as a
professional organization if we shouldn't be using the available means at our
disposal (read: internet/web site) to provide places of education and maybe even
voicing (in succinct language) concerns and even endorsing ideas and positions.
If we truly want to have the ear of the public, then we need to place words,
pictures, and materials online where the effect hits not only those in the midst
of decisions like these, but also the casual learner. But we need to begin to
agree that "marketing" is not a dirty word and to be prepared to wrestle with
attitudes both within and outside of our organization which will challenge our
opinions.

> Finally, we as a professional community, need to help educate the
> construction industry and help establish higher standards which require
> those who construct structural elements to be licensed or certified as
> having the knowledge and ability to perform this type of work (i.e.,
> licensing framers).
>
> Dennis S. Wish PE

Snip remainder..

There are everyday stories we each can tell of what we perceive as the gaps in
education of others. It seems that in almost every area of life, one falls short
or is ignorant of some fact or idea. To work on the problem of education is to
take professionalism by the horns and be responsible beyond our spheres of
influence. I'd like to see how we might achieve some of the goals...

Barry H. Welliver