Re: Car Crash Loads

According to Newton's Law,
Impressed Force=rate of change of momentum.
mass=weight/g=3500/32.2=109 (approx.)
velocity before impact=60 mph=88 ft/sec.
If velocity after impact is assumed as -15 mph (=22 ft/sec), and the change
happens in 1 sec., then
change of momentum=109*88-109*(-22)=11990 ft.lbs
Velocity after impact is negative because the vehicle will travel in opposite
direction after impact.

Well, that gives some method of calculating impact force.

Rajendran