Re: Bar joist in 1953

Steve:

This is not an uncommon designation for that era and I have seen it
several times on drawings. Please check the load tables on pages 175 and
176 of the SJI 50 year Steel Joist Digest (1928-1978). My copy was
printed in 1982, so I don't know if it is the same page numbers as the
current edition. The same designations should be in the newer edition.

I believe the 12 or 14 is the depth and the last number is the chord
size.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.