Re: Bar joist in 1953

I have a 1959 Bethlehem Catalog and the joists are designated as "S" series.

All joists by SJI suppliers are suppose to have a tag on one end with an
identification number.  I suggest looking on the joists to see if you can
find a tag.

Rich Lewis

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org,Internet writes:
Steve,

Sounds like it might be a Bethlehem bar joist.  Sorry, but I don't think that

I have that catalog.  The last phone number I had for Bethlehem was in 1990
and the number was (215) 694-5720.  (Everything may now be different.)

If the top chord is a cold formed chord in the form of a running "U", the
joist may be a GWS joist, except their designations start with C, i.e., C125,

C146.  I *do* have that catalog.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

. > Hi, Fellows:
. >
. > Pls help me solve this puzzle regarding designation of bar joist in
. > 1953. TKS in advance.
. >
. > I have a metal roof designed in 1953 wsith designation of bar joist as
. > "#146 bar joist 4'-0" c/c...." and #125 bar joist at 4'-0" c/c..." for
. > 26'-0" span and 18'-0" span respectively.
. >
. > I checked with SJI for the explanation of "#146" and "#125". I was
. > told this is non-standard call-out that did not follow industry
. > standard thus SJI's 60 year manual (1928 - 1988) does not cover it.
. > The manufacturer of the bar joistand the original designer appears to
. > have used its own way of designation.
. >
. > I check with Vulcraft and I was told it is not its product and
. > designation appears to be non-standard.
. >
. > SJI suggest to check with building owner, City of Baltimore to verify
. > from original document.
. >
. > Any suggestions other than measuring top and bottom chords?
. >
. >
. > Steve Bian, PE
. > CCJM