RE: tap holes

AISC tabulated values are based upon a hardened nut that develops the
strength of the bolt. That is, for conventional applications, shear,
tension or combined shear and tension on the threaded shank of the bolt
will always control. If you tap into a plain plate, this will likely not be
the case. You'll likely have to consider other limit states, such as thread
stripping. The Industrial Fasteners Institute could probably give you some
guidance, since they get involved in a lot of applications other than
conventional bolting. www.industrial-fasteners.org

Charlie