RE: History of conventional wood framing- update -Reply

Do people really want to be "educated" about structural engineering? I
mean how many times have you started to explain or discuss some aspect
of structural engineering to someone and you start to see their eyes
glaze over? Even architects seem to consider the structural portion of
the project as a necessary evil; an impediment to the
architecture.People don't give a damn about structural engineering or
structural engineers, until of course the ground starts to shake. And
after the shaking is done, the public interest quickly moves to who to
blame for buildings that had problems, not a realization that most
buildings didn't fall down, and they're still breathing. The public
dosen't want to be "educated". Remember as engineers, we tend to people
who like to know lots of stuff about lots of stuff. Have you guys ever
been told by someone that "my house or building is on rollers" This is a
pet peeve of mine, and I always take the time to point out the
likelyhood of the structure being base isolated is pretty remote.  I
always ask, have you seen the structural drawings? Of course not, but
since the cashier at the lobby or their neighbour told them it's on
rollers it must be true, while I (a structural engineer mind you) must
be wrong. Educate? A bit cynical perhaps, but in my experience, the
public dosen't care a bit, they need to get home to see the next episode
of Jerry Springer.

 Monte Griffiths, S.E.