Re: Fw: pedestrian bridge

In a message dated 2/25/99 1:16:47 AM, prosteel(--nospam--at)domi.com.tr writes:
>what live load should be used for a pedestrian bridge spanning
>up to 210 ft. in some cases, light vehicles may pass

I don't know the answer to this question, but I would like to caution the
designer to consider deflection, vibration, and oscillations along with
strength.  I am reminded of a steel footbridge (long ago in a state far away)
that arched across a whole freeway in a very elegant fashion that was closed,
shored, and restructured (stiffened with trusswork) soon after opening because
mere walking on it set up unsafe and scary vibrations.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA